Thursday, October 13, 2011

Columbus Day in New England

Every Columbus Day, my family visits New Hampshire for hiking, apple picking, and autumn color at peak.

Here's my ideal Columbus Day Weekend:

1.   Climb Mount Monadnock via the Marlboro trail - it's the road less traveled that includes easy rock scrambling, great views, and beautiful foliage.  I've climbed Mt. Monadnock over 100 times.

2.  Pick Apples and buy fresh chestnuts at Old Cider Press Farm in Westmoreland, NH.   My favorites are Gala, Empire, and Black Gilliflower.

3.  Spend the night at the Inn at East Hill Farm in Troy, NH - we've rented the upper floor of Sugarhouse on Columbus Day weekend for the past 15 years.

4.   Have a vegetarian lunch at the Zeppelin and Kaliedoscope in Marlborogh, NH.    My favorite is the Falafel platter.

5.  Meet artists throughout Southern New Hampshire as part of the Friends of Dublin Art Colony Columbus Day weekend open studios.

It's quintessential New England.   Robert Frost would be proud.

1 comment:

NCP Wizard said...

I grew up in New England (western MA, to be specific). Your post made me think I was back home again! I'd love to come along on your Columbus Day trek; it's a perfect way to spend a fall weekend in New England.