Friday, October 5, 2012

Cool Technology of the Week


As readers of my blog know, my wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in December 2011 and is now in full remission.

She picked up the presence of the tumor (a very fast growing aggressive type) by self examination.

Recently, I heard about an electronic tool called SureTouch which records breast examination via an array of pressure transducers, producing a digital signal as the sensor is pressed and moved over the tissue.  The data is then presented in a useful visualization.

The result is objective, repeatable, and painless.

Although this does not replace standard mammography screening exams, it is a very interesting electronic approach to performing and documenting the clinical breast exam.

Objective digital data gathered as part of the physical exam.  That's cool!

3 comments:

Dan Munro said...

The demo I saw earlier this year in San Diego at the WLSA event was really amazing. I'll be including this in my year-end post on cool tech I saw for 2012.

larry said...

SureTocuh sounds pretty interesting.

A I said...

Another gadget that looks promising. A post from Gizmodo.

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full/~3/B3yWOeRTvRk/the-best-breast-cancer-scanner-might-be-a-souped+up-sports-bra