Friday, August 19, 2011

Cool Technology of the Week


I've been riding between meetings in the Boston area for 2 years using my Strida folding bike.

It's been great for me but not everyone has a  bike they can carry with them into the office.  

Now, there's a new way to get around Boston - Hubway , funded in part by Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Using solar powered, cellular connected, high tech bicycle racks with well engineered nearly maintenance free bicycles, it's now possible to commute between 61 stations in the Boston area for a low annual membership or daily fee.

The technology was perfected in Montreal and has solved the problem of bicycle theft, availability, and parking.

It's a truly amazing system and one that is a model for cities around the globe.

A secure, internet connected, solar powered way to rent a bike when you need to ride between points in the Boston area.  That's cool!

7 comments:

Matlatzinca said...

I took advantage of a nearly identical service when in Minneapolis last year for a conference (very bike-friendly city!). It makes so much sense for cities to provide this service. I remember noticing an earlier incarnation in Germany (Munich) about 5 or 6 years ago.

How did Boston address the brain-bucket safety issue? That is my only concern with increasing bike traffic in a city, though I guess it is still much easier to carry your helmet than to cart your bike around, folding or not.

Adrian O'Connor said...

They have a similar system in Toronto, Canada called Bikee. When I spent a couple of days in hogtown they were pretty much all I used to get around the city.

They also have different but similar system in Dublin, Ireland too. A lot of cities seem to be taking them on now.

GreenLeaves said...

I believe Paris also introduced the VĂ©lib' bike system in 2007 and it is very popular.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9lib'

Portland OR and Minneapolis are biker heavens.

Martin

Melanie Ensign said...

I've seen these being used all over Boston during the past several weeks. They're popular with locals and tourists. Kudos to BIDMC for their role is making this happen!

Anonymous said...

Same service in Paris - Velib

http://en.velib.paris.fr/

Anonymous said...

What about helmets? Where do you get those? That seems to be a bit of a missing link, doesn't it?

John Halamka said...

I keep a helmet and gloves in my office.