Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Birds in my Backyard

This week, we've had bitterly cold weather in the Northeast.   As Wellesley's unofficial weatherman,  I've been tracking temperatures as low as -5F (without wind chill) and -20F with windchill.

I've provided extra safflower, sunflower, and thistle to the winter birds that frequent our yard - Carolina Wrens, Juncos, Nuthatches, Flickers, Doves, Hairy Woodpeckers, House Finches, Cardinals, and Blue Jays.

We've provided a source of drinkable water by heating a bird bath.

An interesting side effect of becoming the food, water and shelter magnet for birds in our neighborhood is that we've also attracted 3 birds of prey - 2 Red-Shouldered hawks and 1 Coopers hawk (above).

While writing about Meaningful Use this weekend, I looked up and saw a cardinal eating safflower.   I looked up again and saw a Red-Shouldered hawk eating the cardinal.

Although I'm a vegan I can appreciate that this is the food chain in action and respect it.

Winter is a remarkable time for mindfulness - to steep yourself in the events of the moment, watch the birds against the snow, and appreciate living in the present.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me smile. Thank you.

Puneet Singh Lamba said...

Good that you take time to enjoy nature. I believe that is an important component of a healthy lifestyle.