Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Favorite Sci-Fi movies

I remember that Summer night in 1977 when I went to the Pacific Cinerama Dome to see a new film called "Star Wars".   The person sitting next to me was Connie Francis.

I've been a lifelong Sci-Fi and Fantasy junkie, spending hours in my teenage years with novels by Arthur C. Clarke,  Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury and Larry Niven.

Here are my favorite Sci-Fi films.   I watch them again every few years and never grow tired of these timeless classics.

2001: A Space Odyssey

Metropolis

Blade Runner

Alien

Spirited Away

Star Wars

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Terminator

The Matrix

Back to the Future

Planet of the Apes

Dark Star

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Akira

The Princess Bride

10 comments:

Dennis D. McDonald said...

Excellent list! I especially appreciate that you have old classics like METROPOLIS and DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL here. They indeed are timeless. FYI, here are sf movie reviews I have published on my own blog: http://www.ddmcd.com/movies/category/science-fiction

Michelle W said...

"True Love!" Couldn't resist posting a Princess Bride quote. By the way, did you ever watch Stardust (the 2007 film with Pfeiffer and De Niro)? It's the movie I think is closest to the spirit of PB.

Anonymous said...

2001 ASO is THE quintessential sci-fi epic but I should give a nod to Forbidden Planet as well. The idea of finding the ancient technological ruins of an unfathomably advanced civilization is like a visit to the ultimate theme park.

Alesha R. Adamson said...

I never stop loving The Dark Crystal!

Now I want to know if you have a graphic novel list :)

Anonymous said...

You're missing one of the best and most accurate predictors of future reality, Woody Allen's Sleeper. I think I heard the featured house was just sold out of foreclosure. No mention of the Orgasmitron.

Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

I saw the re-release of the directors cut of Close Encounters on the big screen here in NYC a few years back. - my all time fave sci fi movie!

slockemd said...

Forbidden Planet, recently released on DVD, was decades ahead of its time, both in the psychological sophisitication of its plot as well as the special effects. It's influence is evident in many sci fi movies that have followed.

Anonymous said...

Great list :) But what about Dune by David Lynch? :) I would also include "The last starfighter" :). Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Very much enjoyed your list! I felt compelled to mention my favorite - Until the End of The World (Wim Wenders)

Anonymous said...

Princess Bride? Great movie, but Sci-Fi?