Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Genomes, Environments and Traits Conference

This morning, I'll be on stage with all the humans who have had their genomes sequenced - James Watson (pictured above), Henry Louis Gates, Misha Angrist, John West, Jay Flatley, Greg Lucier, Seong-Jim Kim, Rosalynn Gill, George Church, and James Lupski.

The GET Conference 2010 marks the last chance in history to collect everyone with a personal genome sequence on the same stage to share their experiences and discuss the important ways in which personal genomes will affect all of our lives in the coming years.

From 9a-12p, we'll discuss our personal experiences with sequencing and its impact on our lives, families, medical care, and policy thinking.

At noon we'll gather for a photograph of all the sequenced humans. By 2011 the number of individuals with personal genome sequences will rise dramatically, from a dozen today to hundreds, and possibly thousands. This makes tomorrow's photograph the last opportunity to have us all together.

I'll publish the photo on my blog as soon as it is available.

A few interesting items from the conference

In April 1953, Watson and Crick published their article characterizing DNA
In April 2003 the first Human Genome sequence was completed
In April 2008 the genetic non-discrimination act (GINA) was published

The cost of a complete human sequence in 2000 was $3 billion

The cost of a sequence 2004-2007 was $70 million

The cost of sequence in 2008 was $50,000

The cost of a sequence in 2010 is $1500

This is Moore's law on steroids. No one in the industry can believe the amazing drop in sequencing costs over the past decade.
My sequence is in the public domain and my stem cells are available online for $85.00.

I'm Coriell subject 21070.

The next addition to my online public data is a functional MRI map of my brain. I completed the scans over the weekend and I'll post an overview soon.

2 comments:

Vidjinnagni Amoussou said...

I believe there is a lot of potential in combining Electronic Health Records, Genomic data, and Clinical Decision Support Services.

Anonymous said...

Can someone make little John Halamka's from your stem cells?