Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Christmas List

As I prepare the list of the few gifts I want for Christmas, I'm guided by first principles. Here's a great column that reflects on what we have and what we keep. Know what you own and ensure it's the minimal right stuff .

For me, there are only two items on my Christmas list
- A small home workbench that enables me to help my family with electrical, plumbing, carpentry and painting projects.
- A bike repair stand that attaches to the workbench so that I can maintain the gears, cables, and components of my family's bikes.

As stated in the column above, I try to own little, but if there are tools I use every day, I try to own the right ones. My personal tools are all Craftsman and my bike maintenance equipment is from Park Tool.

The good news about being very limited and precise with your belongings is that there are no impulse buys, no Black Fridays and no shopping stress, just a plan.

I plan to buy them online with Sears and REI gift cards, then assemble them on the weekend after Christmas.

1 comment:

John Balla said...

Hello Dr. H!
I hope you and your family have a merry Christmas. I like your idea of a plan. Since we've been married, my wife and I have determinedly boycotted shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday and any other "named" shopping day. One little step toward minimizing stress...
John Balla